Sargon of Akkad verweist auf zwei Ratgeber von 1913, um die feministische Behauptung zu untersuchen, dass “vor etwa 100 Jahren Frauen regelrecht der Besitz (Eigentum, Sklavinnen, ‘Chattel’) von Männern” gewesen seien.
“Don’ts for Husbands” und “Don’ts for Wives”. (beide für 1,50 bei Amazon)
Das ist ganz interessant. Ein paar Beispiele, mehr oder weniger wahllos herausgegriffen.
Don’ts for Wives, Chapter 1: Personalities
- Dont expect your husband to have all the feminine virtues as well as all the masculine ones. There would be nothing left for you if your other half were such a paragon
- Dont be surprised, if you have married for money, or position, or fame, that you get only money, or position, or fame; love cannot be bought
- Dont worry about little faults in your husband which merely amused you in your lover. If they were not important then, they are not important now
- Dont expect your husband to be an angel. You would get very tired of him if he were
- Dont interpret too literally the Obey of the Marriage Service. Your husband has no right to control your individuality
- Dont expect a man to see everything from a womans point of view. Try to put yourself in his place for a change
Don’ts for Husbands, Chapter 1: General Habits
- Dont sit down to breakfast in your shirt-sleeves in hot weather on the ground that only your wife is present. She is a woman like any other woman. The courtesies you give to womankind are her due, and she will appreciate them
- Dont stoop, even if your work is desk-work. Your wife wants to see you straight and broad-chested
- Dont look at things solely from a mans point of view. Put yourself in your wifes place and see how you would like some of the things she has to put up with
- Dont make a fuss when your wife has unattached women friends to be seen home at night. I have seen men on these occasions look at their slippers, and fuss about changing into walking-shoes, and look out to see whether it rains, etc., until I should certainly have gone off alone had I been the guest to be escorted
- Dont refuse to get up and investigate in the night if your wife hears an unusual noise, or fancies she smells fire or escaping gas. She will be afraid of shaming you by getting up herself, and will lie awake working herself into a fever. This may be illogical, but its true
- Dont hang about the house all day if your occupation does not take you abroad. Spend regular hours in your study or den, or go out and play golf; but dont inflict your company on your wife during every minute of every day . She is fond of you, but she wants to be free sometimes. And she has business to do, if you havent
Das klingt wirklich nicht nach Ratschlägen für Herr und Knecht. Eher nach Ratschlägen für Partner mit verschiedenen Vorlieben und Aufgabengebieten.
Herstory, statt History. tssss